It’s your favorite time of year, right? A fresh start, cool new gear, and all of those amazing classes just waiting for you to expand your knowledge. Okay…yeah, but it’s also really stressful. Moving in, navigating campus, and keeping everyone’s names straight…it’s a lot! Thankfully, there are lots of apps out there that will make you BDOC (Big Deal on Campus) right from your smartphone. Here are a few of my faves:
- ThriftBuddy:One of the best ways to save on dorm and apartment furniture is to buy items that are gently used. (There’s no point in purchasing furniture “investment” pieces while in college — your furniture will probably experience tons of wear and tear, not to mention beverage stains.) With ThriftBuddy students can locate the nearest thrift shop, like Goodwill or the Salvation Army, as well as flea markets and garage sales.
- GasBuddy!: Gas is expensive, and it’s hard to know where the best deals are. This app uses GPS to find the best deals around you, and then can give directions, too, making the closest and cheapest pump easy to find.
- Dormify: Don’t let space constraints in your new dorm room cramp your style. With Dormify, you can be your own interior designer no matter your square footage. Just answer a few questions about your personality and style preferences to get personalized dorm themes, from shabby chic to uber glam. The app even suggests design options for your roommate based on your results, so your entire room is picture perfect (just be sure to ask her first!). Once you have it just the way you want it, you can purchase furniture and décor directly through the site.
- MyHomework: Finally, an app to help you keep all of those assignments straight. Upload your assignments and class schedule and the app automatically color-codes them according to their due date and which class they are for. You can also sync the app with your laptop, desktop, or iPad so all of your devices are up to date on what’s due. No excuses!
- Chegg: Why purchase that $120 biology book that’s going to be outdated before the semester is over when you can rent it, and then return when you’re finished with it? That’s what you can do with Chegg, the app that lets you buy/swap/or cell textbooks for cheap.
- AllPoint: Need cash fast but you’re nowhere near your bank’s ATM? This app can quickly find a surcharge-free ATM in a nearby location so you at least don’t have to suffer that extra $2 per transaction.